At Catcott our approach to relationships, sex and health education allows us to enable children to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to manage their lives, now and in the future. It will help children stay healthy and safe, whilst preparing them to make the most of their lives and achieve their full potential.
We believe that in order to become happy, successful adults, children need knowledge that will enable them to make informed decisions about their well being, relationships and health and to build their own self belief and resilience.
We have adopted the PSHE Associations Programme of study for PSHE education, which includes RSE.
This programme of study provides a comprehensive programme that integrates, but is not limited to this statutory content. This broader programme also covers economic well being, careers and enterprise education as well as education for personal safety, including assessing and managing risk.
This programme of study is based on three core themes – Health and well being, Relationships and Living in the wider world.
PSHE education addresses both the pupils’ current experiences and preparation for the future. Therefore it is based on a spiral curriculum where learning is revisited, reinforced and extended year on year. The topics that will be revisited throughout each year group includes – family and friendships, safe relationships, respecting ourselves and others, belonging to a community, media literacy and digital literacy, money and work, physical health and mental well being, growing and changing and keeping safe.
The intended outcome of our programme is that pupils will:
- Understand about positive relationships and what makes them within the context of family, friends and romantic relationships.
- Gain the knowledge of how to stay safe in relationships.
- Learn how to respect themselves and others, especially with regards to difference.
- Understand the importance of rules for themselves, others and the wider community.
- Be aware of internet safety and the role they play in it.
- Be aware of money, careers and making financial decisions.
- Become knowledgeable about how to maintain a balanced, healthy life style, including managing mental health.
- Be aware of changes both physically from growing older, puberty and emotional changes and how to manage these.
- Know how to stay safe in different situations, including making the right decisions.